Improve your smile with these seven gummy smile treatment. Did you know that the second thing that people notice about you, after your eyes, is your smile?
Are you conscious of how much gum tissue shows above your top teeth when you smile? Dentists call this condition as an excessive gingival display or a gummy smile. This is more common among women than men. Patients sometimes feel that this makes them less attractive, causing them to lose confidence during social activities.
Good news! This situation is fixable at Markham Dental Clinic. The type of treatment will depend on what is causing your gummy smile. With that straightened out, you are now on the way to a beautiful smile that you can be proud of.
What causes a gummy smile?
Before proceeding with the gummy smile treatment, let us understand what causes it.
- The abnormal eruption of your permanent teeth. Your teeth may have the proper length but might appear short because it has not erupted properly.
- Your muscle, controlling upper lip movement is hyperactive. This causes your upper lip to rise up higher than usual, exposing more gum tissue when you smile. However, when the face is resting, it is normal in length.
- How your upper jaw bone grew and developed could contribute to a gummy smile.
- Genetics can cause small teeth compared to the gums.
- A gingival disease can cause long or enlarged gums. This is known as gingival hypertrophy.
Gummy smile treatment methods
- A gummy smile caused by the jaws or teeth is fixable through orthodontics.
Orthodontics is a specific area of dentistry that treats irregularities in the jaws and teeth. Examples of irregularities are alignment and occlusion. The treatment of gummy smile can include the temporary use of metal braces and Invisalign clear aligners.
- For severe jaw problems, your dentist at Markham Dental Clinic might advise orthognathic or jaw surgery. This is done in combination with orthodontic treatment.
This surgery corrects your jaw by straightening and realigning it, correcting deformities. You will be under general anesthesia during this procedure and confined in a hospital. Recovery from jaw surgery is fast and the results are amazing.
- Lip repositioning surgery along with orthodontic treatment is an alternative to jaw surgery that you can consider.
- Through the help of veneers or dental crowns, your teeth can appear longer.
- Gingivectomy is a procedure that addresses the issue of too much gum tissue. This removes extra gum tissues and reshapes it so that it shows more teeth.
- Laser gum contouring is a gummy smile treatment for minor cases of gummy smiles. This removes extra gum tissues that cover the teeth. You can complete this in one day.
- In cases where the teeth have not fully erupted, the dentist does crown-lengthening surgery. This does not only removes gum tissue but also bones to expose more of the teeth.
We were all made different and unique. This means that we have unique smiles that we should be proud of! Smiling improves your mood, and help builds better relationships. It doesn’t only benefit you but others as well. You can help lift the mood of others with just one simple smile. If you are conscious of how your smile looks, Markham Dental Clinic has you covered.