Dentistry is a branch of medicine which deals with diagnosing, treating and preventing diseases, disorders, and conditions having to do with the mouth including the teeth, gums and jaws. Your oral health can have a huge impact on how the rest of your body feels.What is a dentist?
A dentist is a medical professional who takes care of your mouth just like a doctor takes care of your body. Dentists are able to examine your mouth and diagnose and treat any issues with your oral health. Dentists have undergone extensive schooling and training focusing on treating oral diseases and conditions. They obtain either a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree. Other specialties include:
- Endodontics – root canal therapy
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – includes surgery, radiology, and pathology
- Dentofacial Orthopedics and Orthodontics
- Periodontics –gum disease treatment
- Prosthodontics- dental reconstruction
Why do I need regular dental visits?
In order to keep your whole body healthy, it’s important to have your teeth and mouth checked regularly. Dental care is very important for reasons such as:
- Preventing tooth decay
- Protecting and preventing gum disease – which can lead to bone and tooth loss
- Preventing bad breath – caused by bacterial overgrowth in the mouth
- Boosts your self-confidence by improving your smile
- Preventing your teeth from becoming stained
- Strengthening your teeth so you enjoy your smile and eat well
Why do I need to see a dentist if my teeth feel okay?
Regular visits to the dentist are important even if your teeth feel fine. By visiting the dentist regularly, the dentist can spot problems early on and prevent small issues from becoming larger and more difficult ones to treat. Prevention is key in helping to provide long-term dental health. A dental professional can provide many different treatment options to help you boost both your smile and your confidence. Some options they may suggest includes:
- Teeth whitening by a dental professional
- Tooth-coloured fillings that look more like your natural teeth
- Replacing missing teeth
- Enhancing your smile
What should I think about when choosing a dentist for my oral care?
It is very important to choose a dentist that you feel comfortable with and who can relate and talk to you about your concerns. Here are some things that should be considered when choosing a personal dentist:
- Is it easy to schedule an appointment and do they work with your schedule too?
- Is the office conveniently located?
- Is the office clean and neat?
- Are you comfortable and relaxed in the dental office?
- Were your dental and medical records stored in a permanent file?
- Did the dentist explain how to maintain good oral health?
- Does the dentist get involved in continuing dental education?
- Is the dentist a member of the Ontario Dental Association?
How often should I see a dentist?
In most cases, it is a good idea to schedule regular check-ups about every six months. For those who are high risk for developing tooth diseases or tooth decay, more frequent visits may be advisable.
How do I get started for my next checkup?
Give us a call and our friendly staff with help schedule a dental checkup appointment for you and your family at your convenience. If you are a new patient, please let us know and we will provide you with all the information you need for your first dental visit.