Dealing with broken tooth treatment for the first time might be challenging for you. It can frustrate and enrage you in many ways. Not knowing what to do can sometimes make you feel anxious that you might be losing a tooth. When a dental emergency happens, leaving you with a broken tooth, the best thing to do is to seek help from your Markham dentist.
Our tooth is naturally strong. Enamel, which is the thin covering of the tooth is the hardest substance in your body. Dentists consider them durable and stronger than the bone itself. However, they can still chip, crack, or break. When this happens, Markham dentists usually recommend repairing it with a tooth filling, dental bonding, veneers, and others.
What are the reasons why you might need a broken tooth treatment?
- Accidentally biting down on something hard can damage your tooth.
- Being hit in the face or in the mouth is never a good thing.
- Falling and hitting your face.
- Old amalgam or silver fillings that cannot support the tooth’s remaining enamel.
- Tooth weakened by cavities will need a broken tooth treatment.
Minor tooth fracture may not initially hurt. You might only feel it when your tongue feels a sharpened area on your tooth. But if a large piece of your tooth breaks off then it might cause discomfort.
A cracked tooth hurts because of irritation in the pulp. Under the tooth’s enamel and dentin is the pulp, containing the nerves and blood vessels of a tooth. Chewing on a cracked tooth can irritate the pulp. It can damage it in a way that it can no longer heal on its own. This results in tooth sensitivity to a change in temperatures inside the mouth.
Large cracks in the tooth can lead to infection and pain that can spread to the bone and gums. Irritation in the tooth is noticeable when you chew because of the pressure that chewing puts on the tooth.
What are the remedies for this?
- Minor cracks on the enamel of your tooth will rarely need treatment. However, your dentist might polish it to smooth out the surface.
- Your dentist will repair a chipped tooth by reattaching the piece that broke off. Depending on the damage, he might also use a tooth filling or a dental crown. It is important to make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible to avoid complications.
- A cracked or broken tooth is sometimes remedied with a filling material. A severely damaged tooth will need a dental crown to prevent the crack from getting worse. If the pulp is damaged as well then you will need to undergo a root canal treatment. Root canal therapy removes the infected nerves and cleans the area of bacteria. This relieves the pain and restores the tooth to its normal function.
- Also, you need treatment when your tooth is weakened by cavities. The best way to restore the tooth will depend on the evaluation of your dentist. Extensive tooth decay might lead to extraction when necessary in order to save the remaining healthy teeth. It’s important to look for options like dental implants and removable dentures to replace your missing tooth. There are dental services in that you can inquire about.
Initial care for a chipped or broken tooth
If you have a broken tooth, make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. On your way there or before you go, here are some tips that you can follow.
- Use warm water to rinse your mouth with.
- Apply a piece of gauze on your mouth if there is bleeding in a specific area.
- Cover your chipped tooth with dental cement for the meantime. This is readily available at most drugstores
Dealing with a broken tooth might be scary at first. The technique is to breathe and remain calm. There are many ways to address a broken tooth like a tooth filling and root canal treatment. You have nothing to worry about. See your dentist in Markham at once for treatment.