Pediatric dental care is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the dental health of children from birth to adolescence.
It is important to make the younger generation understand the importance of dental health and good oral hygiene. This is because these are special gifts that you can impart to them at an early age. This is why there is a specific branch of dentistry that attends to them. We want them to have the best dental care possible, in partnership with you, their parents.
Pediatric dental care at the dental clinic in Markham makes sure that your child’s first visit to the dentist is enjoyable. As much as possible we don’t want them to grow up afraid of the dentist. It is important to note that children aren’t born with dental anxiety. However, they tend to fear situations and people that they are not familiar with. The dental clinic makes an effort to provide a fun and comfortable atmosphere that kids can feel safe in.
Pediatric dental care: caring for your baby
Children should visit the dentist as soon as they turn one year old. This is to make sure that their erupting teeth receive the proper pediatric dental care from the beginning. Their teeth start to grow on their sixth month.
Here are some tips to help you care for them during their infancy.
- Care for their gums by rubbing their gums with a clean piece of gauze. This cleans the mouth of any remaining food particles.
- Upon the arrival of your baby’s first tooth, upgrade to a baby toothbrush. This has soft and fewer bristles than the normal one. For the first few months of using a toothbrush, just dip it in water. Toothpaste is not needed till a few more teeth appear. People should never swallow fluoride toothpaste. Practice spitting out the toothpaste with them.
- Try to limit their sugar intake through flavored drinks or soda. This is what causes cavities.
- Children learn through good examples. They imitate what adults do. Make sure that you set an example of a good oral hygiene routine for them to follow.
Dental emergencies are a part of life. The dental clinic in Markham is here to guide you through the scenarios that might trigger anxiety in you. Stay calm, and call the dental clinic for proper dental assistance when faced with these events.
- Accidentally biting the tongue or lip can cause bleeding. Clean it gently with water, and apply a cold compress to avoid swelling. Call your dentist if the bite is deep.
- Children put a lot of objects on their mouth. Sometimes things can get stuck between their teeth. Never use a sharp tool to remove these objects, use a dental floss
- For broken, chipped, and fractured teeth, rinse it with warm water and then apply cold compress on it. Save the teeth fragment that fell away then head straight to your dental clinic.
- Save permanent teeth that have been accidentally knocked out. Place it in a clean container with milk. Knocked out primary teeth don’t need to be re-implanted.
- Administer pediatric dental care by removing loose teeth as fast as possible to help children avoid swallowing it.
- In the case of toothaches, rinse the mouth of your kids with warm water. Inspect the teeth to make sure that nothing is stuck between them. Cold compress help ease the pain. Schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. Allow them to take oral pain relievers to ease the pain.
- A broken jaw is a serious matter needing immediate dental care. Reduce swelling through cold compress, head quickly to your dental clinic or hospital.
As parents, we understand the need to protect your children and provide them with the best care you can give. The dental clinic in Markham is behind you one hundred percent in this endeavor.