Your dentist does not recommend tooth extraction procedure unless it’s the last option there is. One of the rare occasions that he performs this is when you have an impacted wisdom tooth. This condition means that your mouth does not have enough space for the third molar to fully erupt. In some patients, their molars grow under the gums or only a portion of the tooth shows on the surface. Impacted wisdom teeth not only cause pain, yet they also attract bacteria to hide in between. With these reasons, you need to immediately book an appointment with your dentist for a wisdom tooth removal.
Wisdom tooth extraction procedure
The dentist will scan the tooth to check the position of the molar and its roots which is necessary for treatment planning. There’s nothing to worry about dental pain or discomfort because the dentist will numb the surrounding gums before the wisdom tooth extraction. Next, he will make an incision on your gums so he can see the molar that needs extraction. Using his dental tools, he grips on the tooth and uses a rocking motion to remove it. If it’s difficult to remove it in one piece, he breaks the tooth first and removes the pieces one by one. Wisdom tooth removal is completed by closing up the gums through stitches. Sometimes this step is no longer required.
Best practices to prevent wisdom tooth extraction complications
1. Eat more cold foods to contract blood vessels and encourage blood clot formation.
2. Don’t rub the extraction site with your bare hands or tongue.
3. Manage the bleeding by putting gauze pad or tea bag on the tooth extraction area.
4. Don’t brush the extraction site or forcefully rinse your mouth so as not to disrupt blood clot.
5. Gargle with salt water rinse after every meal to prevent bacterial growth in the mouth.
6. Have a good rest and limit physical activities within 72 hours.
7. Take only the prescribed antibiotics and pain relievers to speed up your recovery.
8. See your dentist three days after the wisdom tooth removal for a follow-up checkup.
9. Inform your dentist right away if you experience excessive bleeding or pain even after medication.
10. Seek advice from your dentist before going back to doing strenuous activities.
Caring for yourself after a wisdom tooth extraction in Markham, Ontario is vital to prevent complications. Follow your dentist’s orders and you will be away from any kind of infection after the extraction.